Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I missed over a week!

One would think that, as a brand new blogger, I would be inclined to make sure that I always post on a regular basis. After all, isn’t that what all of the “How to start a blog” posts say? “Post on a regular basis!” Alas, work has already forced me to break that rule and within two weeks of starting. On a brighter note, perhaps it’s best to be forced to address something early in the undertaking, rather than after a rhythm has been established.

The last week at work was completely insane and consumed most of my waking hours. After subtracting a few hours for eating, sleeping and commuting, there was barely time left to breathe, much less write blog posts. This morning came along and I suddenly realized that three blog posts had passed me by, without even as much as a nod to my existence. With that slap in the face, I realized I needed to assess.

Although I don’t have a clear purpose for the blog, its initial purpose was to be the place to store passages I enjoyed, general plot summaries, and overall reflections on the book. As I have a tendency to read books and all-too-quickly forget the plots, being able to write this done would give me an easy way to reference stories I’ve already read. Unfortunately, I realized that sharing book plots would make reading my blog dangerous to anyone who hadn’t already read the book. They’d come, read the description, and know how it ends. I’ve gone through several ideas, but I think that this blog is going to have to become more multi-purpose, especially because I don’t have time to read enough books to keep the blog filled solely with book posts. And so, I have decided on the following schedule for my blog, assuming four weeks a month.

Weeks 1-3

Monday: Article on something book-related (ie, things I find online that are somehow related to reading and books)

Wednesday: Notes on the book that I am currently reading

Friday: TBD

Week 4

Monday: Article on something book-related (ie, things I find online that are somehow related to reading and books)

Wednesday: Notes on the book that I am currently reading

Friday: List of 5-10 books that I’ve discovered over the month that look interesting

This will invariably have to change as I develop a routine and there will probably be a new plan sometime in the next few weeks. I hope that this will, at least, make it easier to keep up with the blog that no one reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment